St. Joseph Hospice
Through attentive hospice and general inpatient care, including the latest in palliative care, St. Joseph Hospice provides peace, comfort, and dignity to those facing terminal illness. Our healthcare team is committed to helping patients welcome each day with the hope and expectation of tomorrow. Established in 2002 and named in honor of the Patron Saint of a Peaceful Death, St. Joseph Hospice embraces the physical, emotional, and spiritual needs of both the patient and his or her family.
Your personnel were like family members caring for their beloved ones.
—Family member of a St. Joseph Hospice patient
St. Joseph Hospice has service hubs and offices throughout Louisiana, Mississippi, Southeast Texas, and South Alabama. As part of the continuum of care provided by The Carpenter Health Network, formerly St. Joseph Holdings, we provide specialized palliative care and respite care according to individuals’ evolving needs.
What is Hospice and Palliative Care?
Always approached with our patients’ spiritual health as well as their physical comfort in mind, our hospice, palliative, and respite care services include the following:
- Provide pain and symptom management
- Provide medications, equipment, and supplies related to the terminal illness
- Coordinate with physicians to decrease the need for 911 calls and hospitalizations
- Provide four levels of care based on each patient’s needs: routine home care or palliative care, respite care, inpatient care, continuous (crisis) care
- Assist with personal care (bathing, shaving, etc.)
- Help decrease anxiety, depression, and other common emotions associated with terminal illness
- Offer psychosocial, emotional, and spiritual support to patient and family
St. Joseph Hospice's staff and services focus on managing the symptoms of an illness, helping patients maintain the highest quality of life possible and making sure each and every patient is comfortable.
At St. Joseph Hospice, patients’ needs are met through services like these:
- General medical care & support
- Intensive bedside hospice support (Crisis Care)
- Social services
- Physician visits
- Psychosocial and bereavement counseling
The team at St. Joseph Hospice is specifically trained for hospice and respite care, and our staff includes the following:
- Board-certified hospice & palliative care physicians
- Registered nurses
- Licensed practical nurses
- Certified nursing assistants
- Medical social workers
- Non-denominational chaplains & pastors
- Bereavement professionals
St. Joseph Palliative Choices Model
St. Joseph Hospice is the only agency in Louisiana chosen by Medicare to take part in a new model, effective January 1, allowing qualified Medicare members to receive services provided by hospice while continuing curative medical treatment.
The St. Joseph Palliative Choices Model team:
- helps you manage your treatments and appointments.
- answers your questions.
- coordinate communication with your physicians.
- helps to control pain, breathing difficulties and other symptoms.
- gives you and your loved ones extra support so you can focus on feeling better.
The St. Joseph Palliative Choices Model can help those with cancer, congestive heart failure, COPD or HIV/AIDS improve quality of life, while providing comfort and peace of mind. Services are covered by Medicare and there are no copays or deductibles for services provided by the St. Joseph Palliative Choices Model team.
Do you have other questions about palliative and hospice respite care from St. Joseph Hospice? Find answers to our frequently asked questions.
Beyond Hospice & Palliative Care
In addition to exceptional hospice and palliative care services, through the St. Joseph Hospice Foundation, The Carpenter Health Network is able to provide assistance to those in need. St. Joseph Hospice Foundation is an active non-profit organization that provides assistance for terminally ill patients and their families throughout Louisiana, South Alabama, Southeast Texas, and the Mississippi Gulf Coast. To learn more, visit the St. Joseph Hospice Foundation website.
Locations Served for Hospice and Palliative Care
St. Joseph Hospice provides at-home hospice services in the following locations:
- Baton Rouge
- New Orleans